Monday, July 9, 2012

I Started a Blog!


I have always been interested in interior decorating, but having a degree in engineering, not design, I was unsure of how to really get into designing spaces for other people. Then I started reading blogs, and I realized that many interior designers are getting their start through their blogs. So, here I am, joining the blog world. I have been a “lurker” for years, and I have thought about joining the blog world for at least two years. I have planned out posts in my head, read many bloggers’ how-to guides and FAQs about their blogging experience, and thought about names and platforms, but I never could figure out how to start.

So I decided to just take the plunge and see how it goes.

Many of my friends have told me that I should be an interior designer. I have no formal training, but I am a 3rd generation “furniture mover.” That’s what I call my grandmother. Every time I went to my grandmother’s house as a child, her furniture was rearranged. She was a very skilled seamstress, and I think she invented the design-on-a-dime concept. She always knew the right combination of fabric, paint, elbow grease, and sweat it took to create a beautiful space without breaking the bank. Though her designs were decades-old by the time I came along, her house was still beautiful. She was not afraid of color or pattern, and she knew exactly how to mix high and low, traditional and modern so that the result was a beautiful space that would stand the test of time. Instead of going to Disney World or the toy store like many children do with their grandparents, I spent childhood summer days with her going to thrift stores and antique shops, and the treasures she could find in those stores always amazed me. My mother has the same knack for interior decorating and thrifting, and they have passed that ability down to me.

I am excited, nervous, hopeful, and scared-to-death of this encounter. Does anyone out there care what I have to say? There are a million blogs out there — who’s going to want to read what I am writing? What if people hate the way I decorate? Do I really have enough ideas to create a meaningful blog? These are just some of the questions that I have been pondering as I have been “setting up shop.”

Well they say (whoever “they” are) that a journey begins with a single step, so consider this post my first step on what should be a very interesting journey. I can’t wait to see where it takes me. Is it just me, or does starting a blog feel like the first day of school? Were you nervous when you started your blog? Or a new job or hobby? I'd love to know that I'm not alone in this feeling.

Coming later this week: Pictures! Since this blog is supposed to be about interior spaces, I figured I would start with the interior space I am an expert on -- my house. First room up on the house tour: the dining room.


Lindsey




3 comments:

  1. Lindsey, this is a great blog! I love your decorating ideas. I am an up and coming "furniture mover" myself. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele,thanks so much! I'll be sure to keep the ideas coming!

    ReplyDelete